Monday, August 30, 2010

blahh

Wednesday beginners class, we went over a bunch of different chokes with our opponents own lapel. It was good but my wrists are weak and I am having a hard time keeping them strong and straight when tucked deep behind someones neck.
BF and I went downstairs to roll for about another hour. There was a black and a purple who were all ready down there. I was getting really frustrated, I think I was carrying over work stress to the mat. 30 minutes was dedicated to passing open guard. The black belt chimed in and told me to make sure that I stay on one knee with foot on toes while other leg posted with elbow... so to prevent re-landing in someones guard. Its also a lot easier to spring into action when on toes.

Friday we planned on going to No-gi, but I was late from work and we were 30 minutes behind. My BF assured me that it wouldn't be a big deal if we just jumped in, but I thought it would be rude --->being new, I didn't want to take away from the people who were there on time. That isn't fair :(
So we went downstairs and had the whole floor to ourselves for over 2 hours. We started with some warm up drills. Forward rolls, side rolls, backward rolls, various shrimps etc.

We started rolling, it soon became apparent that the theme was to be passing open guard. So we...rather I tried and tried a bunch of different things, then was corrected and told to try, try again. I need to get my mind to understand that I don't have to go in a straight line: if something isn't working...step through, step around, shove the legs, arm or head, if shoving doesn't work, then pull duh.

Positive points of the day: I also noticed that my bridging is 150% more powerful if I really make a point to roll onto my shoulder when I explode. I'm starting to be able to recognize and transition from Armbar through Omoplata...
I got my BF frustrated a bunch when he couldn't get the cross face... haha!
I'm realizing that I shouldn't be shy-afraid to push (not malicious) someones face -head out of the way if I need something.
The one knee tip I got on Wednesday came in handy Friday.

Negative point: I smashed my knee real bad. (then later, my BF in the heat of the moment, Hulk kicked the same knee out from under me...Frigger)----> That prompted me to get mad at him and it blew up in my face because I ended up smashing my hand real good, and it got pretty swollen, stiff and hard to close for most of the weekend.

2 comments:

  1. Is only starting to feel better now, but I keep bumping it like a klutz, I'm sure that isn't really helping :P

    ReplyDelete