Wednesday, January 05, 2011

Monday-Tuesday

Lots of competitions coming up--and by that, I mean...a few.


 Bushido Grappling Championship
15 of January in Ottawa, Canada

BF will be coaching some of his students at this event, not sure if he will actually be competing himself.  I would think,  that it would be enough of a job to just be present and clear mind to coach on the sidelines. 













World Pro Jiu Jitsu Cup 2011 - Trial Date
26 of February in Montreal, Canada


Most of the guys will be going to this one, I imagine. 













Monday
BF classes at the college don't start back up until next Monday so we decided to go into the club all this week.
Went in early with the intention of just going to 'Open mat' for an hour.  We ended up staying for 40 minutes open mat, beginners class, competition class then stuck around for almost and extra hour and half chit-chatting and procrastinating on changing out of our gis.  It was almost 11pm by the time we went out the door.
First day back after a week off, was weird.  I felt awkward, stiff and couldn't remember how to move or  really even what to do.
Beginners Class
Wu: One leg shrimps down the mats x3
Top series drills 10x Armbar, triangle, omoplata, kimura.
Technique: I cant remember the past 2 days are blended...Bad me :( 
Rolling: no rolling

Competition Class
Wu: Your favorite closed guard pass for 5 minutes each, Favorite half guard pass for 5 minutes each.
Technique: I think this was more part of the warm up-Working on getting the side control- getting the person flat on back and holding for 3 seconds for points. He showed us 3 different options from there.  When a person is on bottom on the side you have somewhat shoulder pressure-control but- they have their hands posted on your hips, you can't get them on their back.
-Simply pull their top arm of and get to Kesa-Gatame
-keeping your closest knee in their hip step a little back so their reach is stretched and weak, then shoot back to get proper side control-roll them on their back
-Same thing but really stretch them out with your closest leg- kinda rotating them out so that their legs kinda stretch out- making their upper body weak-their reach weak- then switch your hips and flop em over on their back while they are at this weakest point.
Rolling for 35-40 minutes 5 minute rounds.

Nothing special to report, except that taking a week off sucks- especially when that week is full of drinking and getting fat. Haha!...ugh...:(
I rolled with my BF 2x and he crushed my soul. I was so frustrated.  I felt angry and helpless, but it fueled my other rolls.



Tuesday
Beginners Class
Wu: Weird stuff lol. Bunny hops and other things.
Technique: Scissor sweep to armbar and Flower sweep to armbar.
Roll: quick KOTM. Start in guard, top goal: simple pass guard and hold for 3 seconds. Bottom goal: to sweep or submit.

Advanced
Wu: Jogging, breakfalls, shrimps, rolls. 1 minute hop overs(got a little mat burn on my toe ick). 30 second Robotlegs.
No technique
Rolling: 6-6 minute rounds.
Odd number- I sat out on first roll.  Nothing special, just the usual of getting crushed and tapping.


The first thing I noticed from being back at it is a sore neck, throat and traps.
Lifting isn't really picking up again, I'm making excuses for myself.  But I have a plan.  I'm going to try and get a free membership at the college since BF teaches there. It would work out perfect as we could do strength training Mondays Tuesdays  after he teaches and on weekends.  It also becomes a lot easier to be consistent when I don't have to ditch him to go to my current gym.  I had memberships at 3 different gyms last spring and summer, I had many options to train where ever.  We had 1 membership together and it was really great, so I hope we can do that again.

5 comments:

  1. Don't forget Ascension in Toronto Feb 5 and 6th! Quite the drive for you guys, but perhaps it'd be worth it.

    And yes, rolling with boyfriends can be especially annoying! hahah

    ReplyDelete
  2. Its really great in another way, because there is all ready an established level of trust and comfort, I can really be a brat (heheh) and 'try' to go hard with him in a way I wouldn't necessarily dare to with anyone else. I allows me to sort of, test my boundaries and comfort in a safe way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good point; that is also very true. I find that I am about 5x more aggressive with John...maybe it has something to do with the trust factor. Hmm.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have to laugh here... hehe

    A while back...after class, John had actually asked Brock and I about that. He wondered if I went harder with Brock. He said, he had observed that you go noticeably harder with him, compared to how you seem to roll with others. Was is just a GF thing, were we out to get them or something?
    Not really, we just trust you wont rip our arms off if we push your buttons:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is very logical, though, I gotta say I have never thought that way consciously! haha. Regardless, when I go "hard" it's all child's play to John, anyhow!

    ReplyDelete