Going to Vegas for the last week of October to visit my BF's father and step mom!
We are currently looking for a club to possibly go visit-train BJJ on one or two of our 'Free days'.
I am excited :)
Advantages to both, in my experience. Currently, I train at a pretty small club, which is relatively inexpensive, and I feel very welcome, often having a long chat with several of the other blue belts and the instructor before, after and during class, which is cool.
However, a big club has the advantage of a much broader range of training partners, so far more likely to have people at varying skills, sizes and indeed genders, which may be something worth considering.
Also, it is always cool to train at somewhere with famous jiu jitsu or MMA names. E.g., Robert Drysdale has a place there, J-Sect has had lots of famous names in the past (like BJ Penn and John Lewis, the latter of whom is still there teaching, I think) and Cobra Kai (Marc Laimon's place, though he's moved to a new location: people like Sim Go are still there, though).
Cool - loads of great places to train in Vegas. Have you check the TrainJiuJitsu map? Seems to be the most comprehensive one for the US.
ReplyDeleteAdvantages to both, in my experience. Currently, I train at a pretty small club, which is relatively inexpensive, and I feel very welcome, often having a long chat with several of the other blue belts and the instructor before, after and during class, which is cool.
ReplyDeleteHowever, a big club has the advantage of a much broader range of training partners, so far more likely to have people at varying skills, sizes and indeed genders, which may be something worth considering.
Also, it is always cool to train at somewhere with famous jiu jitsu or MMA names. E.g., Robert Drysdale has a place there, J-Sect has had lots of famous names in the past (like BJ Penn and John Lewis, the latter of whom is still there teaching, I think) and Cobra Kai (Marc Laimon's place, though he's moved to a new location: people like Sim Go are still there, though).
Great link! Thanks :)
ReplyDelete