Friday night
We went in for a bit of late night open mat. Just a few people there, a blue and white doing no-gi and 3 other sparring.
My BF and I got changed and the other blue wrapped up with the white, put on his Gi and joined us. The next 2 hours was pretty much me, getting a long private, going over sweeps. Nice :)
They discussed and dissected how they approach- apply various sweeps and finding the balance fulcrum to sweep your partner. I was having a hard time, finding the nook to use as a fulcrum to sweep. After a bit of practice or rather--- fail on my part, they took turns rolling with me and just using as many sweeps as they could. This allowed me to pay attention to where I was falling of balance and where they are applying the sweeps, that forced me to recognize and defend. After a bit, they wanted me to just go with the flow and not stop--- If they sweep, use the momentum and see if I could, in turn, sweep or turn it into something else. Between turns I watched them roll. Those 2 are like watching a slippery BALL OF SNAKES. They pivot on anything-any body part that will allow it-constant momentum-fast flow and literal roll around each other. Its really fun to watch. I don't think Ive seen any other combination like that at the club. I wanna be like that :(
I left frustrated, but excited! (damn I need lots of practice, I want to be good now!)
Monday
Went to my BF's class.
WU: 30-35min of various shrimps, rolls, drags- pulls.
Technique: Omoplata.
The guys are starting to not look so awkward...I know, I know...Im still a newb too, but even I can recognize the flailliness.
Position and movement drills (rolls)
I went the first 2 rounds of 4-4 minute rounds.
First was with the one of the littlest guys of class still 20-25 lbs heavier, not that it really matters...started in his guard(wanted to work on my guard passing) He attempted a couple of triangles, I defended, stacked and pulled out my arm and got to side control eventually he got my back, trying to choke me, he made the mistake of crossing his legs in front of me (I think he was trying for a body triangle??) so I was in the process (while being choked) trying to get, my legs on top of his crossed legs and pinching, crushing -sliding them off. Buzzer.
Second another little guy with a few months experience at another club.
Started with him in my guard, got the over hooks and started to work on climbing his torso with my legs to get to triangle etc. Later in the roll, I was trying to get the sweeps but in the scuffle, I just couldn't get that knee guard up into where it need to be to get some leverage. He eventually got my back, another choke, I tapped. I tapped like 3 times from random @ss weird chokes from random @ss angles...Conclusion: leaving my neck exposed and not protecting it. Bad.
Last 2 rolls I sat out and watched, my BF paired up with the odd one out. I could start to see a bit of where he would purposefully leave stuff open to see if his opponent would capitalize on. It was like a cat toying with a little mouse. A few students stuck around after class and practiced the technique and rolled amongst each other. BF and I rolled for about 20-30 minutes. I wonder if I look like a little mouse too?...probably.
I expressed discouragement to him afterward...like--->not being able to sweep the students who are newer at this than me, or getting choked a bazillion times.
He said to stop being so negative and hard on myself, to enjoy the process and just have fun. I'm not going to be pulling off stuff I just learned over night. (Me= Duhhhh... true.) Then he went on to say that he once worked on a sweep for like a month before he finally pulled it off on someone.
I have to remember- to work hard and try new things, out of my comfort zone. If it was easy, everyone would be doing it. It is about the journey and not really the destination, right?
Random vid.
Cobrinha goes for an armbar around 7:40 and just holds it. At 8:10 he does a transition to a potential triangle.. .Its a fake though and he immediately returns to armbar as soon as the other guy goes to defend the triangle.
No comments:
Post a Comment